GIVING EVERYONE A HOME
Location above the York Branch YMCA in York City, the YMCA’s Men’s Residence gives over 100 men who would otherwise be homeless access to permenant shelter, a supportive community, and help becoming self-sufficient.
Please see below for information on becoming a resident and reach out to the YMCA at [email protected] if you’d like to help support these men on their journeys!
- Applicants can receive application at the Men’s Residence (310 W. Philadelphia Street, 3rd Floor, York, PA 17401) and then return it when completed with valid photo ID and social security card
- YMCA staff will then conduct background clearances and review the application
- Applicants then complete additional intake paperwork and sign verification consents
- YMCA staff will then contact applicants to let them if/when rooms are available
- When a room is available, staff will then give residents their key and handbooks before doing a tour of their new room and the common areas
Requirements and Rules
- Be homeless by the definition laid out the department of Housing and Urban Development: “Individuals and families who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and. includes a subset for an individual who is exiting an institution where he or she resided. for 90 days or less and who resided in an emergency shelter or a place not meant for.”
- Fall under the annual income limit of $32,050
- Pass background clearances
- The cost of a room is $386 month with a $100 security deposit at move-in
- Section 8 Rooms are based off their income and set by The Housing Authority.
- Emergency Shelter Rooms are available for free for up to 30 days (YMCA staff will work with occupants of Emergency Shelter Rooms to get them approved for Section 8 rooms)
- Check or money order ONLY. We do not accept cash for anything!
Materials required before moving into a room:
- Emergency Contact
- VAWA forms
- Grievance procedure form
- Two money orders for rent ($386) and security deposits ($100)
- Additional materials as required by YMCA staff
- No smoking in the building or within 25 feet of the property
- No drugs and/or alcohol permitted in the building
- No women allowed past the 3rd floor reception desk
- Residents receive random drug/urine tests as outlined in the lease agreement
Items provided by YMCA:
- Twin bed
- Window with miniblind
Items NOT provided by YMCA:
- Food/meals (Except during special occasions)
YMCA staff will NOT:
- Set appoints for residents’ personal business
- Pass along personal messages
- Distribute medicine
- Perform medical care
To learn more, ask additional questions, or get help starting the process, contact Linda at [email protected] or 717-854-7291
To view a video tour of the Men’s Residence, click here!